Parallel processing support

May 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

As far as i know 7-zip handles situations when notebook has processor with 2 cores - so it have very high speed

Cheso Ionic zip - for packing and unpacking on such machines has performance penalty equal to 2.3 times

Does your tool somehow utilizes resources of computer for packing operations?

Coordinator
May 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Currently, only unpacking is supported. This is just a wrapper, so 7-zip does whatever it wants in terms of resource utilization for extraction.

May 29, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Well I thought it was a port of 7-zip to c sharp for programmers ;-)

Anyway thanks!

BTW. you can use the article of Eugene Sichcar from codeproject - http://www.codeproject.com/KB/DLL/cs_interface_7zip.aspx to make you great work to pack to.

Also i saw very nice API for those things in perfect work of Cheso - ionic zip utils here (you can borrow some ideas if you want):

<cite>dotnetzip.codeplex.com</cite>

Coordinator
May 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM
Edited May 30, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I am already using the interface in that article as my starting point. You may want to look at the example in he home page to see it what the library currently does. I also based my api on DotNetZip a little, although packing is not implemented yet.

May 30, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Hi gael

Also its interesting if you tested the performance of native unpacking via 7-zip and via your wrapper for this library. Is it decreased more than on 7% or less.

As for me i wrote a tool butil.codeplex.com and i use native 7-zip in it. Also those Eugene's article is used in his file manager written on .,net

nomad-net.info

However its not open source but free.

May 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Do you plan to port 7-zip and zip packing on .net?

How do u think is there any sence in it?

i saw project on sourceforge.net where authors wanted to port, but they as i understood wanted to port program not library for programmers to port to c sharp.

Coordinator
May 31, 2010 at 12:48 AM
Edited May 31, 2010 at 12:50 AM

I am planning to implement packing with all the formats that are supported by 7zip. I wrote this library as part of another project, and I will only need packing when that project is nearly done. Packing will be implemented then.

About the performance versus the native 7zip, you could write a small program to measure that.

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:35 AM
Great!

2010/5/31 gael <notifications@codeplex.com>

I am planning to implement packing with all the formats that are supported by 7zip. I wrote this library as part of another project, and I will only need packing when that project is nearly done. Packing will be implemented then.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sevenziplib@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sevenziplib@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Best regards, Siarhei Kuchuk
-----------------------------------------
Cuchuk.Sergey@gmail.com
Jabber: drweb86@jabber.ru

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER
This message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed and contains information that is legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. All unintended recipients are obliged to delete this message and destroy any printed copies.
Jun 19, 2010 at 4:59 PM

BTW

For parallel packing you can try to use PLINQ